Connemara Pony PSSM Research Group
Programme and Participants
This programme was established 01.01.2022.
The Connemara Pony PSSM Research Group is a small international group of knowledgeable Connemara-people, independent of any breed society. They are gathering data with the aim to map the prevalence of the genetic variants associated with PSSM1 and PSSM2 within the breed. They are interested in pedigrees and breeding lines, as well as in the correlation between genetic variants, symptoms, and response to diet and exercise interventions.
Any purebred Connemara Pony may be entered into the Connemara Pony PSSM Research Group DNA Programme.
Components of the Programme
By enrolling your pony in this DNA Programme, you are granting permission to the Connemara Pony PSSM Research Group to collect the data from your pony for research purposes.
We kindly ask that you provide all known information about the pony in the animal record, such as DOB, parentage, UELN, etc. You may also be asked by the researchers to provide information about symptoms at a later stage. Please note that the pony must be a purebred Connemara to be eligible for participation in the programme.
- Animal registration - In the Animal Trust Center (ATC), register a new animal.
- Creation of an online animal file - fill in the information for this animal. When the breed is chosen, the Connemara Pony PSSM Research Programme option will become available under "DNA Programms".
- DNA typing for
- PSSM1 (partner laboratory) - if the pony is tested for PSSM1, the results will be available to the Research Group
- PSSM2 (Generatio) - if the pony is tested for PSSM2, the results will be available to the Research Group
- Animal data collection - the Research Group may ask you to provide information on your pony's breeding, your reason for testing, etc. in the future. In the “Diary” section of the Animal Record under “Kommentare”, you can share any information that might be helpful to the programme; for example, your reason for testing, if your pony has symptoms, pedigree information, etc. Please note that results from normal tested ponies is also very valuable!
- If you have already tested a Connemara Pony and wish to contribute that data to the Programme, this is also encouraged. In your Generatio ATC account you can go to the Animal Record for your pony. Scroll down in the record until you find “DNA Programme”. You can then select the Connemara Pony Research Group. Your pony’s animal information, PSSM1 and PSSM2 test results, and your contact information will then be shared with the Connemara Pony PSSM Research group. Other test data will not be visible to the group.
Reports on the preliminary findings
In June 2022, the Connemara Pony PSSM Research Group has published a report on their preliminary findings in the work they are doing to research PSSM1 and PSSM2 in the breed. You can download it right here: